Thursday, September 3, 2009

BEWARE: Scoundrels on the prowl

Today (3rd September 2009), my colleague and I were conned of our money by a couple on motorcycle.

The rider was a bespectacled woman and the passenger, a male accomplice.

They approached us near Jalan Batai (Damansara Heights area) under the pretext of asking for money to help with the man's visible injury.

If you think I was a gullible fool for being taken in by these swindlers, think again.

As much as I hate to acknowledge it, I have to give them due credit for pulling off a very convincing show, which warranted a standing ovation.

The man was bloodied on his hand, supposedly from his thumb. But if you ever had the fortune of coming up, close and personal with him; do take notice that he will conceal his hand and not show it outright to you.

Why is that so, you may ask. I suspect that he was born with a deformed thumb and the blood was conveniently applied all over his hand so as to give their unsuspecting victims the impression that the thumb was badly damaged.

Just in case you are curious; no, they definitely didn't use ketchup nor tomato sauce for the pathetically gory effect. Chicken blood? Possible.

To further convince the soft-hearted people, like yours truly:
1) They rode motorcycle and wore grubby clothes (Would you part your money for couple in jewellery, evening dress and a nice coupe?)
2) They promised to call you back to return the money. (When I asked her for her number, she suggested I gave her, my work address instead)

I handed RM 50 but she asked for extra amount and that was when my colleague also became a sucker and took out his RM 50. All in all, a whopping RM 100.

Back in office, I relayed this to other colleagues and to my unsurprising discovery, one of their friends also fell victim to this couple but in Kelana Jaya, minus the motorcycle. That time, they went up to the office for their performance instead.

Their Unique Selling Proposition:
1) They didn't carry files and show pictures of underprivileged humans to solicit donation from you.
2) They did not wear the monk's robe and go barefooted to ask for money.
3) They did not come to you as beggars.
4) Instead, they gave "shock value" with bloodied hand, warts and all.
5) That guy was crying like a small child.

Now, you can see, the above points really set them apart from the ever increasing competition.

Crying and blood, together they make a potent combination that will surely get people all emotional.

Why do you think great politicians cry in front of millions of people? They don't cry without a reason. Look no further than both the past leaders of Singapore and Malaysia and you will roughly figure out what I mean.

For those who interested in spotting these accomplished actors:
The couple are in their 40's, of Chinese descent and speak Cantonese. The woman will have a nametag of "C.Y. Joo" pinned onto her T-shirt. By now, I'm quite convinced that she picked up the nametag by the roadside because it's in blue, the very same kind of nametag students wear to school!

C.Y Joo, whoever you are, I think you can sue them.

No comments: