Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Till Death Do I Treat You Well







I was pleasantly surprised that instead of brickbats, my last post entitled “Idiocy of Chinese Traditional Wedding” garnered support from readers. Emboldened by this positive development, I am going to shift my attention to Traditional Chinese Funeral.

Those who have lived here long enough will notice that among different communities in Malaysia, Chinese funeral is the grandest of all. Actually, this is something I’m not proud at all since I see no logic whatsoever why it should be held on a grand scale, complete with burning of effigies.

The only happy people are probably the deceased’s next-of-kin and without shadow of a doubt, the undertakers and sellers of prayer paraphernalia who will laugh all the way to the bank. You see, death equals big business, at least to the Chinese community!

I know not only do I sound highly offensive but insensitive as well for stating that the surviving family members are contented, safe in the knowledge they have sent their loved one on his final journey with much fanfare.

Really, is there a necessity to spend so much money on a funeral? It is not that the person lying inside the coffin knows a pompous send-off takes place in his honour. I will tell you what is more practical, it is giving first class treatment to the deceased while he was still alive and not only when he has croaked.

Below are some possible reasons why a majestic funeral takes place:

It is believed that an elaborate funeral will benefit the deceased’s descendants
This beggars belief, how can the deceased bless his descendants if during his lifetime, he was not well-treated? There are even some who expect their dead relative to give them sudden windfall by performing acts of miracle i.e. combination of numbers appearing so that the living can place bets at the gambling outlets.

It is an opportune time to show off the surviving members’ wealth
It goes without saying that grandiose funeral requires a lot of money and by holding one, it is a form of advertisement to tell others, “Hey, not only am I rich, I am also filial.”

Don’t want to be haunted by the deceased
I know this sounds funny but it is a possibility, nevertheless; especially those who didn’t treat the deceased well while he was still alive. So, by performing a grand send off, it is hoped past deeds are forgotten.

Apart from the above, I remain unconvinced that anything we burn here as offering to the dead can be transferred to the netherworld. However, credit must be given to the makers of such prayer paraphernalia for their ingenuity. If you have seen satellite dish, decoder, laptop, modem or designer handbag made of paper, you will understand why I applaud their ingenuity. It never fails to amuse me whenever I come across these things in the shop.

When it comes to death, I can relate to Buddha’s teachings better for it stresses simplicity when holding funeral and in order for the deceased to gain merits in the netherworld, it is incumbent upon the descendants to perform acts of kindness.

On hindsight, I would think money should be better spent on donating to the needy, instead of lavishing on funeral.

No comments: