Monday, August 31, 2009

I'm a polyglot and proud of it


Many foreign nationalities including the mainland Chinese envy Malaysians no end for being multi-lingual. I can speak Hokkien, Cantonese, English and Malay language and still lament the fact that I cannot speak Tamil, Hakka and Chinese.

Still, it’s better than being monolingual. Countless studies have shown the ability to converse different languages is beneficial to one’s mental well-being. On a personal level, this mastery allows me to bitch about someone else in front of the subject without feeling guilty.

Yet, many Malaysians view their ability to speak in languages a liability. Yes, I’m specifically referring to the pretentious people. Indians and Chinese are the culprits. Apart from their family members and childhood friends, no one knows this special ability of theirs.

Why? It’s because they try to project to their other friends that they can only speak in English and nothing else, possibly borne from the skewed thinking that English language gives an image of sophistication and dialects make them seen as somewhat inferior in the eyes of their peers.

I have such friends. Some know Tamil or other Chinese dialects but claim otherwise and to compound matters, they try to speak English with Western accents. Have they no pride in their own heritage?

When I was in Australia, a friend of mine initially feigned ignorance of Cantonese but when she got a boyfriend from Hong Kong, suddenly she could speak the dialect! What a miracle. Alleluia! Needless to say, I see her as bloody pretentious.

Don’t ever mask your linguistic ability because monolingual foreigners really do hold us up in high esteem if you possess such skill.

My advice: If you have it, flaunt and wear it like a badge of honour!

No comments: