Saturday, October 3, 2009

"Waiter, there's a cock in my soup!"


Hearing mouse-like sounds being made in eateries is second nature to anyone who has been living in Malaysia for more than a day.

This disrespectful call to attention by patrons of restaurants is a recent phenomenon, no longer than 15 years, I guesstimate. Seriously, I cringe whenever I hear this sound being made.

Is it because Malaysians generally look down on those who wait at their tables that they have to do this kind of annoying sound when they can always substitute it with a spoken word like “Hello” or “Excuse me”?

Malaysians of all races are guilty of this. I think this fad was started by Malaysian Chinese youths who not too long ago, would make this sound when they saw pretty girls walking past. It goes without saying; these pathetic losers didn’t warrant a look from their targets. Unfortunately, we have now adopted this practice to be used on waiters instead.

Consider this; do you think the same rude Malaysians will do the same to their parents or the waiters at posh restaurants?

I have always thought that people who do this show very badly on their moral standings.
It’s time we stopped doing this. Waiters may not earn that much but there’s 1 similarity between them and us, we are all humans.

1 comment:

sx5pho said...

I am guilty of doing this....

I've tried calling "Bos", "Macha", "Hello", only to be answered by their tailwind as they whoosh by, or they are simply too far away to see you are standing on the table waving and calling to them.